As well as knowing how to style your hair, what products to use etc, it is also important that you know to how brush your hair too. 

There are so many different types of brushes and combs out there, and knowing the purpose of them is important. Everyone has their own different ways of doing their hair and that's fine. Today i am going to be showing you my own PERSONAL comb collection and talking you through how i use them. Some you may agree with, some you won't and one is definitely missing from my list that is a must for almost every curly girl i know. But we'll get to that one later. 

Mostly, i detangle with my fingers. This is the best method for me as it is the most gentle way of doing it, and it's something i have been doing now for the past year. However, on wash day, and when doing my hair up sometimes, i use a comb/brush and some of the ones i use are below. 


Wide Tooth Comb
This is my most used hair comb in my collection. Perfect for use in the shower, i have one similar which hooks around my shower pipe. With its wide teeth it is great for my thicker hair, and because it has no bristles for hair to wrap around, it doesn't have as much breakage as other brushes. No wash day is complete without a wide tooth comb. Remember to always start from the bottom when detangling your hair. 





The Afro comb/pick
You have probably saw one of these being used by curly haired girls all over the internet. Picking your roots with one of these gives you more volume. The one i have is double toothed, this gives even more lift and is great for thick hair like mine. 

I like to spray mine with a leave in conditioner spray or refresh spray first. I then flip my head to the side and lift just the roots, repeating to the other side, and finally flipping my head forward and doing the same. Remember to only do this when the hair is dry, this minimises frizz. 

Double Toothed Detangler Comb
If my hair has been neglected and in a bun for too long, it can become very tangled. Sometimes it means that little tangles are missed by my wide tooth comb. Or if i am going to be doing braids or blowing out my hair and i need to be sure it will be smooth, then i get this one out. 

Being double toothed means again, it is good for my thick hair being able to detangle gentler and minimise breakage. 

This one here is by Denman. 


Rat tail comb
This one you will probably remember from growing up. The 'rat tail' end of this comb helps create neat and perfect parts for braids etc. The small toothed comb part is great for helping smooth down the area for flatter base on flat twists and braided styles. 

If i am doing twists of braids, this is my must have. 







Scalp massager comb 
I won this in a competition by hair crush hifelicia, and it is amazing. The buds on the end massage your scalp gently and leave you feeling calm and nice. 

Scalp massages are great for promoting growth. A little oil such as peppermint or castor oil and a massage a day, can have a huge affect on growth. 








Tangle Tamer Brush/ Paddle Brush
If i am going for definition as my hair goal on wash day, then this is the brush that i will use. This brush detangles but creates really defined and clumped curls. 

It is rare that i use it however, as i do find that with brushes like this, i get great definition but i lack volume and also have increased shrinkage. 







Soft Bristle Brush
Before beginning my natural hair journey, this brush was like my best friend. I used to slick my hair down as flat as possible, and the bristles on this make that easy. 

Up-dos, slicked pony tails, and taming fly-aways around the front, this bristle brush lays everything down smooth. 








Scalp Massaging Shampoo Brush
This two in one brush is my favourite for wash days. 

The teeth on this, rather than detangle, are there to help exfoliate and stimulate your scalp during the shampooing process. This helps the shampoo work better, removes more build up, and also leaves scalp feeling amazing. 

I also use this when i do my scalp massages before bed or in the mornings. 

This one is from Osocurly and you can get 15% using code CANDI at the checkout. 

Edge brush and comb 'tiny boar bristle brush
I can not live without this brush! If you follow me on Instagram you will see that i love to lay my baby hairs, and this is the perfect tool to do it. 

The bristles on one end, help get that smooth affect while getting just the right amount of hairs to lay down. Using the comb side, i am able to make my 'swooshes' and add more detail. 

This one here is from Amazon. 




If you have been following curly girls online, you may notice that one brush is missing from my list, which others swear by. 

I used to have a Denman brush, and i don't any more. I can see why people love it, the definition it creates is amazing. However, definition is not my goal as much anymore, and so i can't sacrifice my length and volume for it. Every time i have used a Denman on my hair, yes i have great curls, but the amount of shrinkage is enough for me not to use it again. My hair shrinks THE MOST when i use this brush. I also end up with my hair looking a little on the triangular side, and so this brush just is not for me. 


0 Comments